Standard software not in standard?

I was consulting a small company with a couple Debian servers the other day and I found that they did not have some packages that I expected to be there. Now thinking about it on every server that I install or take over the first thing I do is install a bunch of packages, such as: sudo, mc, wajig, localepurge and a bunch of others that I can't remember at the first moment, but that I re-discover each time I find them missing. I assume that other people have discovered other great non-standard tools that I am missing out on.

What software do other people consider standard on their servers?

Comments

Josef Assad 10 years, 6 months ago

Funny that you happen to be asking that right now. Look here:

Jonathan Carter 10 years, 6 months ago

This is what I often install:

apt-get install htop mc irssi debmirror wireshark debootstrap build-essential vim toilet figlet openssh-server ethstatus nmap devscripts debhelper traceroute sshfs strace gpw host ddclient sudo apache2 links2 sshfs host ddclient privoxy

Pete Boyd 10 years, 6 months ago

tree, lynx, traceroute, tcpdump, nmap

Sam 10 years, 6 months ago

iptraf, sudo, build-essential, libncurses5-dev, snmpd,

* libwww-perl - GET, HEAD commands useful for getting info on HTTP problems
* strace, ltrace, lsof
* speaking of open files, lsof is awesome too

ssh build-essential psmisc base-config linux-headers-`uname -r` lshw subversion sshfs nfs-common dict whois vim checkinstall alien irssi wget nmap iptraf sudo screen bzip2 rsync libwww-perl strace ltrace lsof zip openntpd snmpd snmp zsh exuberant-ctags

Marcos Dione 10 years, 6 months ago

bzip2 is not in base, and most of the time I install really barebones systems and build (install packages) from there.

Atomoxetine strattera from eli lilly. 10 years, 2 months ago

<strong>Atomoxetine....</strong>

Atomoxetine. Eli lilly atomoxetine....