Dell Inpiron XPS M1710

Well, now I am a proud owner of a one of the most powerful laptops available under two grand. Core Duo 2.0 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, 120 Gb HDD, 1900x1200 17" screen and NVidia 7900 GS. I am just loving it. It did come with Windows and lots of ther crap which I removed right away. I did reinstall Windows (XP Media Center) to see how it works (it's been a long time :P) and for some gaming (HL2: Episode One in particular, it's been a long time :P). I also installed Ubuntu Dapper as the primary workspace (as something stable, quick to set up and boringly non-experimental). Debian as the development platform and primary experimentation base and one more 5 Gb partition stayed free so that I can try out other stuff (like Gentoo) when I feel like it.
I must say that installing Ubuntu and Windows in quick succession was a very, very interesting experience. I am considering repeating that and writing down everything with plenty of unusual screenshots to trully compare the experience. I must say that Ubuntu fared the best and Windows being waaay behind on usability and installlability with all kinds of wierdness.
Note: I did not install Debian here yet - university presses to work.

Comments

MZM 12 years, 4 months ago

USE="sex drugs rock'n'roll" emerge life

Nihil 12 years, 4 months ago

Quick question, I'm waiting on my m1710, planning on running Ubuntu as primary os... sounds like you didn't have any issues loading it?? Just curious if you ran into anything strange.

No problems at all with Ubuntu and NVidia equipped M1710. Don't know if ATi will be as simple to install.

EnigmaCurry 12 years, 2 months ago

I'm considering buying the same laptop, so I have a few questions for you:

1) Does hardware suspend happen to work in Linux? (ie. I don't mean software/hibernation. I mean when you are on battery power, do the hard drives spin down etc when you close the lid and then power back up when you open the lid?).. I've never actually seen this work on any modern laptop EXCEPT IBM/Lenovo ones.. I'd really love to get this Dell one to support it.

2) According to Dell's description it has: "three 16-color customizable lighting areas and a red back-lit XPS touchpad". Are they configurable via software or physically? If software, can you configure their colors (or turn off completely) in Linux somehow? (This is not a showstopper feature for me ;) I'm just curious)

3) Have you tested battery life yet?

1) I do not think so. The power management support is quite poor in Linux.
2) Everything is configurable in BIOS (or with software in Windows). It should be possible to write a driver :)
3) Around 3 hours depending on the load.

Rich B 11 years, 9 months ago

Power management *does* work in Linux - otherwise my laptop would get awfully hot :)

Well, the scaling works perfectly. I have even seen the CPU scale itself back to avoid overheating when fan ducts were slightly blocked.

Suspend and hibernate work partially - suspend does work, but 3D graphics are very slow after that and scaling gets a bit confused too. Hibernate works most of the time too, but shows similar problems to the suspend.

cable 11 years, 5 months ago

Is anybody out there who got S/PDIF out running? (via dell's composite cable)
sound via internal boxes and subwoofer works fine, but even alsamixer shows an IEC958 switch, theres no sound via S/PDIF ...

Marcos 11 years, 4 months ago

Hi guys,

My XPS M1710 Gaming laptop keeps overheating during gaming. What am I doing wrong?

Someone plz be kind of enough to send me an email. I'm at a loss. I have virtually no progs running in the background. I play an RTS game called "Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War", and my computer will just randomly reboot due to overheating. This is getting ridiculous.

Sincerely,

Marcos

Are you sure that you are not blocking any vents? Especially the bottom is prone to that - unless you play with your laptop on a hard surface your bottom vents will be blocked causing an overheat.

If the problem is severe, try cleaning the vents and then think about getting a cooling pad.

Nerv.Easy 11 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I also have an XPS M1710.

I'm thinking of installing (dual boot) ubuntu and windows on there.

Now I was asking myself if it would be possible to have the ubuntu partition assigned to de MediaDirect button (If i get rid off the media direct partition))

So I have 2 dedicated buttons and i don't have to choose wich OS i'm booting in a menu...

Thx in advance

Garyl2k 10 years, 4 months ago

I have problems with overheating also, I have windows vista installed and when I play The Settlers - Rise of an Empire it just switches off due to overheating...

I'm not worried since I now have AoC coming and I want to be able to play it :(

Did install some software to control the fan speeds but it only puts fans on full and no faster then that.

Also I think the right fan has a problem which might be the cause, a lot more air is coming our of the left but hardly on the right.

Chose Your Best Love 7 years, 10 months ago

Did you lately part ways with your girlfriend and you find it difficult to move on with your life without her. You simply cannot stop thinking just about the incomparable care.